Join the Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs Foster Training Family!
Among their many capabilities, medical service dogs are able to provide a calming sense of security and grounding from anxiety or panic attacks related to PTSD, wake their owners from nightmares, assist with balancing issues, alert before a seizure occurs, help with every day tasks like opening/closing doors, and so much more.
There are two easy & flexible programs you can get involved with in helping train these incredible dogs for our local combat veterans in need. Learn more from the flyer below, and get started by attending an orientation held the first 2 Saturdays of each month. For more information, contact James at (352) 857-1020.
- Rescuing, raising, and training the highest caliber medical service / assistance dogs
- Pairing highly trained dogs with individuals afflicted by disabilities, including a focus on veterans with combat wounds
- Building/restoring independence and improving quality of life, for both the recipient and the dog, while minimizing reliance on government, communities, caregivers, and families
- Advancing successful service dog training practices by promoting appropriate trainer education and contributing to related research studies
- Pursuing increased public awareness and education regarding current disability laws and contributing to new/enhanced laws regarding service dogs
Additional details provided by Guardian Angels Medical Service Dogs, Inc.:
We will take care of the routine veterinary care, grooming, heart worm preventative and flea treatment. You will be responsible for feeding the required diet, collar and leash, providing appropriate toys and tons of love. Not only are your expenses tax deductible, but your selfless contribution is beyond measure.
While this future service dog is practicing family life in your home environment, you will also be attending a training class once a week with your future hero. We will be providing you with valuable training information prior to taking the dog home and all the way through his or her stay with you.
After a few weeks, this young service dog in-training will come back to our facility, be assigned to a recipient, and begin his advanced, customized training. You will have the honor of being one of our VIP’s at the “Passing of the Leash Ceremony” where we symbolically pair the recipient and their service dog.
to help Guardian Angels train these amazing dogs for those in need, or contact James at (352) 857-1020 for more information. By becoming a Foster Family, you will be helping us get our dogs one giant step closer to meeting their future recipient!